Monday, December 27, 2010

Post Christmas Update

Now that Christmas is done, I feel like I have a moment to breathe. LOL. Not really.  The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of activities between last minute shopping, wrapping presents, and getting kids to various activities.  I find myself looking forward to a few days off of work starting tomorrow <smile>.   Of course, I still have to get up and run kids all over town, but at least I won't be stuck in the office.

Week 31 was quite eventful and emotional.  My doctor appointment on the 17th was stressful for many different reasons.  The most significant reason was because of the pregnancy issues related to the excess amniotic fluid called polyhydramnios.  Normal ranges are between 9 & 25cm.  My levels were at 41cm as of December 17th and my blood pressure is on the rise at 120/90.  Although I was not uncomfortable, the consequences of the excess fluid are not good for me or Nicolas.  I could face pre-term labor because of the excess fluid fooling my body in thinking it is further along than it really is. My blood pressure could force me into an immediate delivery if I get preeclampsia.

I continued to workout at Crossfit and taekwondo as time permitted.  Last week was a very good week with two excellent workouts. Monday was Fight Gone Bad (not for the weak) and the other was deadlifts.  I did scale back Fight Gone Bad a little.  I was surprised with what I was able to do and feel good doing.  My score was 238.  Not bad for almost 32 weeks pregnant at the time.

On Wednesday, December 22nd I went back for another biophysical profile.  My stats went downhill a little further. This time my AFI (Amniotic Fluid Index) was at 49cm, an increase of 8cm in less than a week. I did a little math in my head and figured out that this rate of increase is not good. Also, my blood pressure is slowly creeping upwards and is now approaching 130/90 which I have never seen in my entire life. I am normally 110/70 or less than that.  While monitoring Nicolas' heart rate I watched as all the alarms were triggered because his heart rate fell below the normal marker.  As I lay there watching all of this I wondered why no one entered the room to at least see what was going on.  It didn't last very long, but it seem like an eternity.  Eventually the doctor and nurse entered the room and had me lay on my side.  That seem to help the situation and they think that somehow the cord had gotten pinched.  Although I had been told the previous week that I could continue on with my exercise program, I was informed by this doctor that it would be recommended to scale back. I am still trying to figure this out.  Also, I have to go in tomorrow to have an amniotic reduction to remove some of the fluid from my belly. 

So what does this all mean?????  Tomorrow I will be heading to ANW to have a needle inserted into my belly and have fluid extracted to reduce the pressure and hopefully make things a bit more comfortable. Ultimately I also hope it buys Nicolas more time to grow and develop.  He is a feisty little boy kicking and thumping about in his big ball of fluid.  He has so much room that he can still fully extend those legs of his.  Of course, I can't deny the possible complications of this procedure....pre-term labor or birth.....But then what are my alternatives...not being able to breathe when I sleep, inability to sit, back pain, increased blood pressure, possible hemorrhaging at birth, pre-term labor. Any way I look at it, not good.  So today and this evening I will say my prayers that all will go well.  I hope everything I have done along the way to be healthy and strong will go in my favor. My core strength is strong and mentally I think I can work through the pain of having a needle in my belly for a considerable length of time.

And what about Christmas you ask.....well after all of the flurry of running around was done, we were able to enjoy Christmas Eve Mass at the church and have a nice dinner with my Grandma afterwards.  We enjoyed salad, 4 cheese pasta and shrimp. Noelle had steak because she is not a fan of seafood.  Even though it was getting late we open family gifts and shared in many laughs.  Bryan brought Grandma home shortly after 10PM and the girls wrapped the Santa Paws gifts for the dogs. The girls were in bed shortly after 11PM and Bryan and I fell asleep in front of the TV watching a Christmas Story.  Santa arrived promptly in the early morning of Christmas and Noelle made sure that we were all up around 7:30AM to start the festivities. Next year, I am pushing her back to 8AM.  She is such a Christmas fanatic.  The girls proceeded to dig into their stockings and gifts.  Overall, it was a good morning. However, some time later that morning I started not feeling well.  I thought that by having some breakfast I would feel better, but I was terribly mistaken. Needless to say my breakfast came back with a vengeance and I spent the entire day in bed or on the couch. No Christmas dinner or treats for me.  Although I felt crummy, I didn't want the rest of the family to miss out so I insisted they go to the cabin to be with the rest of the family.  I spent the evening drifting in and out of sleep while various Christmas shows played on the TV.  Bryan and the girls arrived home around 11PM and we all sacked out until almost midnight. 

Yesterday was a better day.  I managed to be up the entire day and played with the PS3.  I ate a small dinner.  I am hoping it was merely a reaction to food as I have dealt with in the past and not something worse. 

Enough for now... lunch is calling and so is work....

2 comments:

  1. I came across you blog via google alert. My daughter Annabel has full T18 and she is almost 6 yes. prayers to your family...
    Cathy
    Annabelgrace.globally.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I came across your blog via google alert too. My girl is Vera and she's hitting 3 years now. thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete